Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Dream a Little Dream for Me

Sorry, I have not posted much this week. It has been a busy!

I feel like the more I have going on in my life the more vivid I dream. They are not only very clear and I remember everything, but they can also be quite strange. Some women have told me that they have strange and vivid dreams only when pregnant - not for me they are like this all the time!

A recurring dream that I had again a few nights ago was that my dad was still alive and that he was looking for us but did not know where we were. Usually when I have this dream I don't really see him but just know that he is there. We are always in our old house and it looks like it did when I was young before the several times it had been redecorated. This dream was really similar except that I saw my dad and he had aged - it could have been what he looked like if he were still alive. I don't recall any profound statements from him or anything like that - it was just odd and yet interesting.

Now I don't mean to get to deep here and maybe its that I am posting this at 10:30 pm after a long day and I am tired. Anyway, dreams have always intrigued me and I have always wondered why we dream like we do - why does someone we haven't talked to or even thought about in ages show up in a dream? Or asking myself if I had premonition of some sort...what does it all mean??

Well, in my search for some meaning behind my wacky dreams, I found these interesting tidbits (from www.dreamsleep.net):

Did You Know?

• One third of our lives are spent sleeping.
• In your lifetime you will spend about six years of it dreaming. That is more than 2100 days spent in a different world.
• Everybody dreams. Just because you don’t remember your dreams it does not mean that you didn’t dream
• We dream an average of one or two hours every night and we often have four to seven dreams in one night
• Five minutes after the end of a dream, half the content is forgotten. After ten minutes, 99 percent is lost.
• If you are snoring then you cannot be dreaming.
• The word dream stems from the middle English word, ‘dreme’ which means joy and music
• Men tend to dream more about other men, while women dream equally about men and women.
• People who give up smoking have longer and more intense dreams
• Toddlers do not dream about themselves. They don’t appear in their own dreams until the age of four.

Thought it was interesting and that I would share!

Goodnight and good dreaming :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting... I have had dreams that my dad was still alive, too. And it's always that weird time warp thing where I am still a little girl but it's the present day. I'm trying to remember the details, but I haven't had one recently (probably in years!), so probably 99.9% of my recall is lost!

Did you find anything out about what it means? I'm intrigued!

akduffy said...

This is what I found, which is interesting and does make sense to me:
To see the dead in your dream, forewarns that you are being influenced by negative people and are hanging around the wrong crowd. You may suffer material loss. This dream may also be a way for you to resolve your feelings with those who have passed on.

If you dream of a person who has died a long time ago, then it suggests that a current situation or relationship in you life resembles the quality of that deceased person. The dream may depict how you need to let this situation or relationship die and end it.

To see and talk with your dead parents in your dreams, represents your fears of losing them or your way of coping with the loss. You may want that last opportunity to say your final good-byes to them.

To see your dead sibling, relative, or friend alive in your dream, indicates that you miss them and are trying to relive your old experiences you had with them. In trying to keep up with the pace of your daily waking life, you dreams may serve as your only outlet in coping and coming to terms with the loss of a loved one.